As promised, here is another really easy, really cheap, whole-foods based meal! I LOVE the look of beautifully filled, colorful peppers roasting in the oven, brimming with savory meat, rice and tomatoes with the perfect amount of spices.
This recipe IS NOT going to look like that.
But it tastes THE SAME! and I’m ALL about saving time and money (and the prices for bell peppers right now are enough to make you cringe!) So here is my rendition – UN-Stuffed Peppers!
- 1 lb of ground beef (grass fed, local and organic are always the way to go if you can find it!)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 large green peppers, diced
- 1.5-2 c. cooked rice (I usually soak mine and choose short or medium grain brown rice because it has a great texture! I’m not a huge fan of long-grain brown rice, but it’ll do in a pinch. And don’t worry – white rice is fine too.)
- 1-15 oz can (or the equivalent of homemade) tomatoes sauce
- 1-6oz can (or the equivalent of homemade) tomato paste
- salt, pepper and garlic to taste (fresh garlic is best, garlic powder is ok too)
- cooking wine (optional) (I’ve used both white and marsala, depending on what I have on hand, and it doesn’t take much. oh – and water will work fine too if you’re out!)